Professional Experience & Affiliations
December 1999 through Present
- Freelance graphic design, web development, and Internet marketing; part-time since 1992, full-time 2009
- Experience collaborating with other creative teams in an agency environment (as an independent contractor)
- Extensive knowledge of print publication and collateral design, advertising, and direct mail
- Logo design, identity systems, and branding
- Social Media consulting (Twitter, Blogs, Facebook, Flickr, Instagram, LinkedIn, Yelp, Pinterest, etc.)
- Web design and development (Hand-coded CSS/XHTML, WordPress Templates, Email Marketing, etc.)
Product & Marketing Manager
Adventive, Inc. (A Subsidiary of BlueTie, Inc.)
March 2009 through October 2009
- Serve as the primary product designer and marketing lead for web-based software applications.
- Develop the user interface (UI) design and workflow for all web-based software products, create preliminary design concepts, and work closely with engineering to implement and iterate.
- Design marketing collateral materials, including sell sheets, brochures, newsletters, e-newsletters, advertising, banner ads, presentations, proposals, product and training demos (Flash), micro-sites, etc.
- Responsible for all graphic design, site architecture, UI, and XHTML/CSS/DOM coding of Adventive’s corporate website. Define and implement web design parameters, style guides and visual standards.
Lead Designer / Online Marketer
October 2007 through March 2009
- Develop conceptual material including product mockups, prototypes, and proof-of-concept content for the purpose of enhancing application functionality and optimizing user experience.
- Define and implement web and application design parameters, style guides and visual standards.
- Manage Pay-Per-Click campaigns including set-up & maintenance, landing page creation & optimization, ROI/conversion rate improvement, copy writing, a/b and multi-variant testing.
- Responsible for managing social network strategies utilizing Facebook, Digg, TechCrunch, YouTube, Blogging / RSS, PodCasting, etc.
- Perform technical analysis and evaluation of industry trends and new/evolving technology.
Director of Internet Marketing
July 2006 through October 2007
- Responsible for Internet marketing & online media planning: Identifying demographics and target audiences, monitoring, tracking & evaluation of online marketing strategies.
- Develop and execute search engine marketing strategies: Competitive analysis / data collection, organic search engine optimization (on-page and off-page), banner ad creation & campaign management, link-building / link profile analysis, rank monitoring / rank trends analysis and website analytics / understanding user behavior.
- Manage Pay-Per-Click (PPC) campaigns, landing page creation & optimization, ROI/conversion rate improvement, copy writing / a/b/split testing.
- Implement E-mail Marketing Campaigns: Template creation, opt-in/opt-out management, measuring & improving open rates.
- Maintain Blogs: Custom WordPress installations and template designs, blog optimization for search engines, and copy writing.
Senior Web Developer & UX/UI Designer
July 2004 through July 2006
- Manage the functional, technical and creative aspects of BlueTie’s marketing and e-commerce website (1 million unique page views per month).
- Responsible for all graphic design, site architecture, UI, and XHTML/CSS/DOM coding.
- Design and production of customer-facing marketing materials, including all print collateral, PowerPoint presentations, proposal templates, brochures, sell-sheets, user manuals, flash demos, and trade show booth graphics.
- Plan and execute web-based B2B marketing campaigns via web, email, opt-in newsletters, banner advertising, PPC, Paid Inclusion etc., and measure metrics & analytics to influence positive ROI.
- Implement and manage organic search engine marketing strategies to consistently achieve top-10 rankings on all major search engines.
- In charge of user-interface/product re-design for BlueTie’s next-generation of web-based SAAS business applications with primary responsibility to democratize technology by building elegant, intuitive, and insanely cool web-based applications that people can easily use.
- Provide all written, visual, and architectural communication, including overall design parameters, visual standards, style guides, storyboards, and user-interaction diagrams.
St. John Fisher College
September 2002 through July 2004
- Research and evaluate innovative and appropriate web technologies such as content management, web authoring tools and document management. Provide key recommendations and strategy for the web as it relates to the college’s marketing goals and initiatives. Understand and determine key Internet marketing initiatives to extend the college brand.
- Provide all graphic design, GUI, HTML/CSS/ASP and database programming using W3C standards.
- Coordinate with campus stakeholders to facilitate the development of departmental/administrative web materials.
- Coordinate programming of web applications with Office of Information Technology and other web authors to match desired outcome with technological feasibility. Supervise the production cycle from conception to delivery.
- Generate statistical reports including detailed web log analysis and reporting. Analyze data and implement necessary programming/design changes for better market positioning (WebTrends).
- Provide college personnel ongoing training and assistance in the construction of web pages and proper uploading of pages, file transfer and use of web applications, and imaging tools. Provide onsite consultation with campus entities to review and understand content and sub-site requirements.
Art Director/Asst. Dir. of Public Affairs
Simon School of Business, University of Rochester
June 1998 – September 2002
- Responsible for the creative direction and production of promotional, informational, educational and recruitment materials for the internationally ranked Business School at the University of Rochester, located in Rochester, New York.
- Design and produce approximately 300 University projects per year, including advertising and marketing campaigns, digital publications, and all print collateral. Execution of projects from concept to completion, including graphic design, art and photo direction, production, and final approval of press sheets.
- Explore and identify new opportunities for communication over the web. Apply relevant digital innovations to produce electronic material that allows the school to compete in an international marketplace.
- Manage multiple design projects in a wide range of publication formats while continuing to stay within budget and meet deadlines. Extensive knowledge of the publication process. Interact with all levels of persons from the University including academic deans, faculty, staff, alumni, and students regarding design concepts and ideas. Work effectively with an ethnically & culturally diverse campus population.
Interactive Media Designer
June 1994 through June 1998
- Responsible for web site development, page design and html programming for the Rochester Democrat and Chronicle Digital Edition at www.DemocratandChronicle.com
- Find creative uses of technology to support client marketing goals. Repurpose traditional marketing and graphic design concepts to produce unique and effective Internet solutions.
- Produce and analyze individual site reports to follow or manipulate site traffic and observe trends.
- Creative design, layout and production of print advertising materials in an agency-like environment.
- Work with advertising representatives and their clients to create high impact, highly marketable advertising solutions in multiple mediums.
- Execution of projects from concept to completion, including photo direction, production, final films and press checks.
- Project planning and production of full color special sections and supplements.
December 1992 through June 1994
- Art direction, design, & production for alternative weekly newspaper; the second-largest newspaper in the greater Rochester region.
- Responsible for cover design, editorial and features layouts, selecting photographs and approving final output.
- Managed art/production departments.
- A.A.S. Graphic Design and Advertising Technology // State University of New York (1993)
- Entrepreneurship Certificate Program // William E. Simon Graduate School of Business (2000)
- MIS (Web Site Client/Server Systems) // College of Business, Rochester Institute of Technology (2002)
- Adobe Flash ActionScript Certificate // Houston, TX (2006)
- Adobe Flash Advanced Certificate // Cleveland, OH (2007)
Achievements and Affiliations
- 2014 Outstanding Art Alumni Achievement Award
- 2011 RBJ “Best of the Web” Award (Business and professional services category)
- 2010 RBJ “Best of the Web” Judge
- 2008 W3 Silver Award
- 2007 Instructor, Web Design and Computer Animation
University of Rochester | Rochester Scholars Spring Program
- 2004 Forbes “Best of the Web” Small Business Category
- 2003 Prism Award, Public Relations Society of America, Logo Design
- 2003 Admissions Advertising Awards, Awarded Gold and Silver
- 2002 Admissions Advertising Awards, Silver
- 2001 Dean’s Award of Excellence, Simon School of Business
- 2001 Prism Award, Public Relations Society of America, Not-for-Profit Category
- 1999 Admissions Advertising Awards, Awarded Gold in Two Categories
- Member of the Mid-City Merchants Association
- Member of the Arts Council of Greater Baton Rouge
- Member of the Baltimore Creative Alliance
- Member of the American Institute of Graphic Arts (AIGA)